Soldiers of the pro-Russian forces guard the evacuation of civilians from the Azovstal factory May 6 – Photo: REUTERS
* According to AFP news agency, with package Support USD 150 million for Ukraine As announced on May 6, the amount President Biden can freely use to support Kiev without going through Congress is only about $100 million.
A senior US official said the new support package includes 25,000 rounds for 155mm howitzers, radar to identify enemy artillery, electronic jammers and some spare parts.
“Congress urgently needs to provide the requested funds to strengthen Ukraine on the battlefield and at the negotiating table,” Biden said in a May 6 appeal.
Earlier, the White House had asked Congress to approve a huge $33 billion aid package for Ukraine within 5 months, including $20 billion in military aid.
* On May 6 (US time), for the first time since the outbreak of conflict in Ukraine, The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) passed a declaration in favor of a “peaceful solution”.
The statement, authored by Norway and Mexico, was endorsed by all 15 members of the UN Security Council, including Russia, and reiterated support for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ reconciliation efforts.
In a later statement, Guterres expressed his delight and described this as the first time the Security Council spoke “with one voice” for peace in Ukraine, according to Reuters.
* In the interview that was reported Washington Post Posted on May 7th, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Peace talks with Russia will only begin after Moscow withdraws from all areas under its control after February 24..
The Ukrainian head of state stressed that he hoped for a diplomatic solution, but that Kyiv would stick to its preconditions.
* On May 6, about 50 civilians, including women, children and the elderly, were evacuated from bunkers under the besieged Azovstal Steelworks in the city of Mariupol. “Tomorrow morning we will continue the evacuation operation,” Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Iryna Vereshuk told the newspaper. New York Times Late May 6 local time.
* Concerned about a new wave of Russian attacks on the anniversary of the 9-5 victory over fascism, Kiev Mayor Vitali Klitschko has urged Ukrainians to stay at home for two days, May 8th and 9th.
“In the coming days there is a high probability of missile attacks in all regions of Ukraine. Be vigilant and look out for your own safety!” Klitschko called out on June 6, leaving open the possibility of imposing a curfew.
The situation of Ukraine’s May 6 war with the red areas is where Russia and pro-Russian forces are in control – Photo: CNN
* In a statement on the Telegram channel on May 6, Serhiy Hayday, head of the Lugansk Regional Military Command, accused Russia wants to control the city of Severodonetsk in the Donbass region. According to Mr. Hayday, if Severodonetsk is controlled, Russia will consider it a big and significant victory just before the 9-5 anniversary.
Severodonetsk, a major industrial center in eastern Ukraine, has been shelled by Russian artillery for weeks, destroying much of its infrastructure. However, Ukrainian troops remained in and around the city.
* On May 6th the government Italy confirms seizure of Scheherazade, a $700 million luxury yacht which, according to Western media, may belong to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Scheherazade has two helipads and can accommodate up to 18 guests and a crew of 40. Its owner has never been publicly identified, but there have been rumors that it belonged to Mr Putin or someone in his inner circle, according to Reuters.