Civilians evacuate Azovstal Steel Plant in Mariupol Photo: REUTERS
* evening 7-5, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said about 300 civilians had been evacuated from the Azovstal plant in Mariupol.
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian military command said Russia is still attacking the Azovstal steel factory complex in the city of Mariupol. The President of Ukraine said he was actively diplomatic to save the number of soldiers still trapped at the factory.
The Azovstal steel factory complex, with a fortified underground system, is currently the last stronghold of Ukrainian forces in Mariupol after pro-Russian forces claimed to have “liberated” that southern port city.
* Speaking at newspaper events financial times On May 7, CIA Director William Burns said in Washington: The war in Ukraine will affect China’s calculus towards Taiwannamely, Ukraine’s fierce resistance to Russia and the economic cost Russia is bearing.
But that doesn’t change Chinese President Xi Jinping’s long-term goals for Taiwan.
* Leaders of the G7, including the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the US, will hold an online meeting on May 8, a day before Russia celebrates Victory Day, according to Reuters news agency with the Ukrainian President Zelenskyj.
2S1 Gvozdik self-propelled howitzers of the Ukrainian Armed Forces opened fire at a site in the Kharkov region on May 7 Photo: REUTERS
* According to the Reuters news agency, Britain will give Ukraine another £1.3 billion ($1.6 billion) in aid. The British government has sent anti-tank missiles, air defense systems and other weapons to Ukraine.
The new bailout doubles previous UK spending commitments to Ukraine. According to Reuters, the extra money comes from a reserve used by the government for emergencies.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said it plans to meet senior defense contractors later this month to discuss ramping up production in response to the war in Ukraine. The British government has so far issued visas to more than 86,000 Ukrainian refugees.
* Reuters news agency quoted World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as saying that the WHO stands by the Ukrainian people in the conflict with Russia.
WHO has registered 200 attacks on medical facilities in Ukraine.
* US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director William Burns said that Russian President Vladimir Putin believes he cannot lose in Ukraine and is determined to step up the war.
* According to CNN, on May 7, Russia fired six cruise missiles at the southern Ukrainian port city of Odessa. According to Ukrainian armed forces, Russia is not only wreaking havoc on the region’s infrastructure, but is also exerting psychological pressure on the civilian population.